Mission Statement

The primary purpose of this blog is to help Christian women apply the counsel of God's Word to their daily lives as it relates to their relationships, circumstances, suffering and sin; and to equip them to help others do the same. "For the Word of God is living and active." Hebrews 4:12

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lavish Love

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! 1 John 3:1

I have been taken aback by this verse all week long. Think about it. God, the Creator of the Universe, has lavished His great love on me! I was once His enemy with nothing to offer Him but the sin that nailed His Son to the cross and yet He adopted me and calls me His child. This is really shocking when you think about it.  I want to understand this extravagant love which God has bestowed on me through Christ. I know I take it for granted.  I wrestle to grasp the enormity of the riches of His love for me.

I have been seeking examples of stories which demonstrate extravagant love in order to give me a better understanding, a glimpse into the Father's love for His children. This story of Rick and Dick Hoyt (video below) is a precious story of one father's lavish love for his son. There are many spiritual parallels in this story. Please share any stories you have of "lavish love" which may give us a greater understanding of God's "lavish love" of His children.

1 comment:

  1. Your thoughts and words leave me with much to ponder. "How great is the love of the Father that pours into me, that we should be called the children of God." Like I prayed tonight, how is it possible that God could adopt me and love me when I have been like the younger son in the parable, "The Prodigal Son"?!? I think of all the times I have stumbled and fallen, yet God has picked me up and dusted me off. He has told me to just keep running the race that He has set before me. How blessed we are that we can be so sinful and unworthy, yet God continues to wrap His everlasting arms around us!

    ReplyDelete