Mission Statement

The primary purpose of this blog is to help Christian women apply the counsel of God's Word to their daily lives as it relates to their relationships, circumstances, suffering and sin; and to equip them to help others do the same. "For the Word of God is living and active." Hebrews 4:12

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Lessons from My Flower Garden on Confession

Yesterday I was doing some much needed sprucing up of my long neglected flower beds. As I was pulling up a million and one weeds, I was cleverly drawing parallels between  my weeding and confession. Here are a few of my profound thoughts!

  • Left unattended, weeds grow and multiply quickly! Sin grows quickly and multiplies in our lives when unattended.
  • Pulling weeds is easier when the soil is moist and pliable. Confession is easier when the soil of our hearts is soft and fertile from God's Word not stony and hardened with self and the world.
  • Weeds destroy the beauty and vitality of the flowers in the bed. Sin destroys our witness and zaps us of spiritual energy to grow and blossom in the Lord.
  • Weeding is an activity which I loathe and put off as long as possible; this can be my tendency in dealing with my sin too.
  • Because the work is so unpleasant, I am easily distracted. Go get a drink, pet the dog, check my phone for messages, go get another drink, stick my feet in the pool to cool off, go inside to check my e-mail, get another drink....you get the picture! How easily we fill our lives with so much activity that we neglect the essential need to clear our hearts before the Lord daily.
  • Weeds grow daily; everyday there are new weeds in my flower beds. I need to confess sin daily because it's there daily.
  • A weed eater is the easiest but least effective way of dealing with weeds because it does not deal with the root. My confession must deal not only with my behavior but with my heart as well.
  • Finally, you have to get low to the ground to pull weeds! Confession brings us low, and by God's grace we are lifted up again!
These are just a few of the thoughts I was having while I was weeding. Let me know if you have any more comparisons!

Happy Weeding,
Brenda

2 comments:

  1. "Happy Weeding"....happy weeding? Well yes, there can be happy weeding. I have spent hundreds of dollars on weed control products for my lawn and garden. Read the directons, did what it said and anticipated never having to get low and pull another weed. This was an exercise in futility. So where is the "happy" part? Learning that there is no magic product but only my hard work has produced a yard that I am doubly grateful for. Tools help, Round-Up is the bomb, but pulling, getting dirty and wrestling with those nasty weeds is what gets the job done. Then I do it again a month later!
    Thanks for the encouragement and wisdom Brenda. You're the best.
    Gabrielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one, Brenda! The comparisons you came up with were very good. Gives you alot to think about.

    ReplyDelete